Kula Yoga Community Logo

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Get to Know Your Teacher: Tamara Evans


What and when was your first experience of yoga?
I took my first yoga class in March of 1998 in Canfield, Ohio. My first teacher had a little yoga studio in her basement, complete with a little bookstore and incense supplies. I remember feeling nervous and shy but was welcomed by my teacher and the students as if they already knew me. As I did the asanas for the very first time in my life they just felt right, and a whole new path opened up to me.
What or who inspired you to deepen your practice and study, and to become a teacher?
Throughout my practice I had thought about teaching, but never was serious about it until I met Dana Goudie at the YMCA many years ago. She said my practice was so strong that I should consider teaching, yet I didn’t feel ready and wasn’t sure why. It was around that time that I took a year to immerse myself in self-study. This deepened my practice even more and I started to feel yoga from the inside out and wanted to share this feeling with others through teaching.
How would you describe your teaching style?
A vinyasa based class that is challenging yet spiritual, this is our time to stop and connect and be where we are. We work on alignment and control while the movement between poses allows us to release and receive energy and open our hearts. I try to help students realize that yoga is a practice, a journey because it is for me. Accept who we are right now without judgment- then challenge yourself, while being mindful of your limits. The beauty lies within perceiving that challenge as growth, healing, becoming stronger so we can take what we learn on our mat out into the world.
What does “living your yoga” mean to you in your personal life?
I strongly believe in energy. I make a personal effort to spread good energy into the world around me every day. Both on and off the mat my yoga practice is always there for me. In the sea of change and challenges of life, it is the one thing that is familiar to me. It helps me to trust more and fear less, gives me solace among chaos, and reminds me that I create my reality.
Tell us about life outside teaching yoga.
I have a 6 year old son who is my world. My parents and I are very close, so I also try to spend time with them. I have a small business that I operate on the weekends too. I love bookstores and “low key” activities. Aside from taking other yoga classes, I also like to work out in the gym at least four times per week to build strength.
What inspires you? (Within yoga and otherwise)
My son, parents, my students, great friends, and great teachers.
What pose(s) are you currently working on in your personal practice, and what are you learning about yourself?
Mayurasana (Peacock Pose), Visvamitrasana, and Eka Pada Koundinyasana II. These poses are difficult! I am trying to learn how to place my energy as well as my body so I can balance in them. I have crashed plenty of times and pulled muscles I didn’t think were possible. I have truly learned that it’s ok to fall down because that is how we learn!



Tamara in Feathered Peacock Pose (Pincamayurasana)




No comments:

Post a Comment